The dates, times, and/or delivery (either in-person and/or remotely) of this class are subject to change due to the impact of COVID-19. All students who register for the class will be contacted via email and/or by phone, if and when, changes are made to this class. If you are not contacted by the Adult Education office, then this class will run as normally scheduled.
NO REFUNDS OR TRANSFER OF DATES PERMITTED!
This course is intended to train participants, including healthcare professionals (doctors, nurses, EMTs, nursing students, etc.) to save lives of victims in cardiac arrest through high quality cardiopulinary resuscitation (CPR). It is also the course required for lifeguards. Due to the new guidelines, this course is required for people that are new to CPR as well as those who already have a current CPR certification. It includes training in CPR & choking skills for infants, children & adults, as well as 2-rescuer CPR, the use of barrier devices and training on automated external defibrillators (AED). Successful completion of the course provides a 2-year American Heart Association certification. The textbook is required and not included in the cost of the course. Included in the course fee is the cost of the card.
This course follows the criteria set by the American Heart Association. Upon successful completion of the course, students will be eligible to receive the AHA certification card.
Course Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Describe the importance of high-quality CPR and its impact on survival.
2. Describe all the steps and apply the BLS concepts in the Chain of Survival.
3. Recognize the signs of someone needing CPR.
4. Perform high-quality CPR on a adult, child and infant.
5. Describe the importance of early use of an AED.
6. Demonstrate the appropriate use of the AED.
7. Provide effective ventilation by using a barrier device.
8. Describe the importance of teams inmultirescuer recsuscitation.
9. Perform as an effective team member during multi-rescuer CPR.
10. Describe the technique for relief of foreign-body airway obstruction for adult, child and infant.
Course cost includes the BLS Card. Course cost does not include Textbook. Textbook Purchase Required - Basic Life Support (BLS) Provider Manual 2020 ISBN: 978-1-61669-768-6